Friday 2 December 2011

Warm Noodle Love

My favourite season of the year is here and it certainly is here in all its glory. Mornings are chilly, I don't feel like leaving the comfort of my snuggly blanket at all, a warm soup seems like the best thing ever and there are times I wish I had a furry dog to cuddle with, they are always so warm and loving You know! Also, been facing thinker's block for a couple of days now, what with this sudden dip in the mercury, and general sneezing and coughing all around, maybe my favourite time of the year does have quite a few, er, hiccups. But then again, my birthday and mom's birthday both will arrive in a few days, and it will be Christmas soon. Christmas lights on Park street and Rum Balls from Nahoum alone make up for all the not nice things about winter.Oh, and then there will be Home Alone on the TV for sure one of these days! Totally Looking forward :-)

In the general pursuit of warm, soul-heating, simple food items to feed me and a friend on such a cold afternoon, a simple stir-fried noodles with seasonal vegetables seemed like the ideal choice. Chop, chop chop the veggies while watching a re-run of MasterChef, boil the noodles, stir fry in a wok and add your favourite sauce(s), stir some more on high heat and Voila!it's done.

STIR-FRIED NOODLES WITH SEASONAL VEGETABLES
(or,what Bengalis/Indochinese Experimenters call, Vegetable Chowmein)









INGREDIENTS-
Any thin noodles - 300 gms (I used Egg noodle)
Seasonal Vegetables - I used -
Potatoes - 1 medium, diced
Onions - 2 medium, julienned
Carrots - 1 medium - diced
Cucumbers - 1 medium - diced
Garlic - 4 cloves - finely diced
Green Chillies- 2, finely chopped
Assortment of Sauces - I used -
Fresh Tomato Sauce - 2 heaped tbsp
Dark Soy Sauce - 2 tsp
Red Chilli Sauce/Your preferred hot sauce - 2 tsp
Salt and Black Pepper Powder to taste
White Oil - (I used Peanut) 2 tbsp

PROCEDURE -
1.Cook the noodles in boiling salted water till al dente, (firm to the bite.)Drain the water and spread on a flat dish to dry.
2.Parboil the tougher vegetables(here, carrots and potatoes) in boiling water for 5-7 minutes. Drain the water and make sure to take them out before getting cooked completely
3.Heat oil in a wok and add chopped onions and garlic. Saute.
4. Add parboiled vegetables and cucumber.Continue frying.
5.Add the noodles to the wok,add green chillies, salt,pepper and mix.
6.Add the sauces.Soy sauce is salty so add carefully. Go easy on the hot sauce or go all out, depending on how much heat you can take.Mix well.
7.Continue stir-frying for 3-5 minutes till the noodle is evenly coated with the sauce and the veggies are cooked just right. Serve hot.


Stir-fried Noodles are ready for me and friend M. Now for tucking into the warm goodness and some dishy girl-talk!

p.s..I also made some Aviyal, that classic Kerala favourite, last week. I more or less went with Shammi's classic recipe here that was passed down to her by her Mom, with a few minute changes depending on what I had in hand. More on that coming up in the next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment