Friday 22 February 2013

Omelet version 2.0

Unlike many of the bloggers I follow religiously, I'm not a whole-time cook. However, since cooking is almost therapeutic for me and also because I enjoy it so much, I try to make atleast one meal of the day , everyday myself. In the weekdays, it's usually the breakfast or a one-meal brunch. The tough, time-consuming, adventurous recipes are bookmarked and attempted on weekends.While I adore super-women who make three course meals all by themselves on weekdays, I'm just happy with one little wholesome dish that would let me be good for hours.
 Simple eating, High thinking is what I swear by, and  it's the combination of Dal-Rice-Omelette that has fed me and kept me happy on many a busy working day. It's delicious, it's hassle-free and who doesn't love a well-cooked fluffy omelette?
I came across a novel way of making omelettes recently in a Bengali story by author Bani Basu. She is a renowned writer , a champion of urban middle class women and their issues, and much of her writing focusses on daily domestic lives of women in Bengal. Food, naturally is a big part of her stories. The story I read has a twice divorced painter as the protagonist who lives on her own terms in a sprawling North Calcutta mansion . She unwinds by cooking when she's not painting, and makes Khichuri with Omelette one rainy night while sipping on Coke and Rum as the story begins.
While all I sipped on while making my omelette today afternoon was water, the story's description of adding cornflakes to the egg for a fluffy, crunchy omelette intrigued me enough to try it out. I went ahead and added whatever I found in the pantry that suited my mood.

OMELETTE - featuring Cornflakes ver 2.0

Break 1 egg into a bowl.
Add half a chopped onion, one chopped green chilly and a handful of chopped capsicum.
Add 2 tsp of milk.
Coarsely crush 1 tsp of corn flakes with a mortar and pestle. Add to the bowl.
Add salt to taste.






Beat well.
Heat a non-stick pan. Add 1/2 tsp of oil and spread it around.
Pour the egg batter in the pan and turn around to form an even circle.
Sprinkle a pinch of red chilly powder all around the cooking egg. -> (This is a neat little trick I picked up from my friend G when I was visiting Pune last year. G made 3 omelettes in 3 different ways and this was the one I absolutely loved. It just makes the omelettes look bright with tiny specks of red all over. I do the same to my poached eggs.)









Wait for the egg to set.
Fold it up and eat hot.



For a change, today instead of the Rice and Dal, I had homemade Rotis, Alu Posto and the Omelette.for lunch. The cornflakes is a great little twist that I enjoyed, it made the omelette fluff up in no time and also the texture was  really crunhcy and it tasted delicious.




 

1 comment: