Friday 22 February 2013

Raita on Toast - guilt free snack!

One of the major mistakes I make time and again is falling prey to a heavy and unhealthy snack, usually store-bought chips,noodles off roadside or fried stuff like chops and rolls. The fact that the locality of Kolkata I live in is swarming with eateries of all kinds, esp. streetfood, doesn't do anything to help my cause. I've been meaning to do something about my bad snacking habits and lately, have hit upon a nice idea for a quick snack - that's healthy and doesn't give me pangs of guilt afterwards.

The novel idea is eating Raita for a snack. Yogurt with its wealth of good bacteria and calcium is essential for good female health and a Raita is just a no-fuss, easy way of fortifying it up with some more vitamins and minerals, courtesy the added fruits and vegetables.

Here is a basic version of Raita I make : -


Take 100 gms of plain yogurt (homemade is fine) and to it add half a chopped cucumber, half a finely sliced onions, half of a finely chopped tomato and a handful of boiled green peas.
Add salt to taste, some chaat masala and a sprinkling of red chilli powder and mix well.
Serve.

You can add a  handful of coarsely chopped roasted peanuts to make a Marathi version.of this.  Other things that can be added are boiled potatoes, boiled carrots and boiled chopped eggs to make a more filling version.

My latest idea has been spreading a big spoonful of this Raita on a Rusk Biscuit/ Crisp Toast . I even had this one day for a light dinner.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment