Monday 11 February 2013

Tausalli - Konkani Cucumber Pancakes

I realise I've been gone from the blogging world for more than a year now. I had a very busy 2012, which involved serious family illnesses (and recuperation, yay!), house repairings, living in another city for some weeks and making two films, one of which was shortlisted at a short film festival in Cape Town and made me feel jubilant for days. However, excuses for not blogging must not be encouraged for more than one needs to and I'm back today, on a crisp February afternoon, with something I had bookmarked for ages.
Lonely afternoons often come with food pangs, and today was no exception. I had fresh, large cucumbers in the pantry, and some rice flour left over from Sankranti's Pithe making. These lovely Konkani breakfast pancakes called Tausalli (Taushi - Konkani for cucumbers)  that I first read up about on onehotstove seemed like the perfect choice to toss up.



TAUSALLI - Konkani Pancakes

(made from this recipe at Onehotstove)
















I more or less went with Nupur's exact measurements. The only notable differences in my cooking were : -
1) I substituted a pinch of Kashmiri Chilli Powder in place of the green chillies. I do not like solid pieces of chillies in my pancakes in the first place, and the red from the chilly powder added a dazzle of colour.

2)  I added a tablespoon of Rava/Suji and a pinch of Poppy Seeds/Posto. Many Bengali recipes use poppy seeds to crispen fried items, and I went with that analogy.





I served them with tomato ketchup on the side.

These lovely, green, soft and dense pancakes were a very different culinary experience for me. They were more filling and satisfying than I had expected and this was a novel way of eating up cucumbers. I look forward to delving in and exploring more of Konkani cuisine in the days to come.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment